Chandrakirti Centre is a sacred, 5-acre retreat center located in the rolling hills of Upper Moutere, New Zealand. While being a peaceful and idyllic retreat setting, it is also conveniently located to the nearby city and airport of Nelson
We love to welcome all kinds of individuals and groups to visit our beautiful meditation centre. Visitors are welcome to
- sit in our peaceful meditation hall, Nalanda Hall (which was opened and named by HH the Dalai Lama)
- collect merit by walking around our beautiful stupa
- watch the sunset from our Yeshe Pagoda
- walk through our lush gardens,
- browse through our public library and small shop.
Many highly regarded teachers have stayed here and blessed the land, including His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, Lama Zopa Rinpoche, and His Eminence Ling Rinpoche.
Chandrakirti is also home to a small group of monastic and lay meditators, and many life-size Buddha statues and stunning Tibetan art pieces.
All these factors come together to give it a truly magical, peaceful, and tranquil atmosphere. Don’t miss the unique opportunity to visit us today!
At Chandrakirti Centre, all residents and visitors are asked to follow these five ethical guidelines while on the property:
- Protect living beings (refrain from killing, even small insects)
- Respect others belongings (refrain from stealing and taking anything not freely given)
- Speak truthfully (refrain from lying)
- Refrain from sexual contact (to create a space for spiritual introspection and development with less distraction; dressing modestly is also encouraged)
- Refrain from using intoxicants, e.g. alcohol, tobacco, etc. (to help cultivate clarity of mind and body, and create a safe, calm environment for everyone)